Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Chess Study Buddy Reading Group


A few fellow chess improvers took the bait and decided to join the Online Reading Group. There is plenty of room for more group members. We have decided to study Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner To Master

Why join the reading group? Well, it might be fun and it might be the whip and carrot you need to really study the important concept of endgames.

How will it work? We decide on a fairly slow paced schedule for reading the group and "meet" online using, say, Skype +ICC (or FICS?) for conference calls and discuss interesting sections of the last reading assignment.

Doesn't that sounds like fun?

9 comments:

  1. Wicked. My schedule is a gong-show, so I'll probably have to be content to be a book-club member in spirit, but this book is my current focus as well... It's a bit humbling that I'm finding unfamiliar concepts in the 1200-1399 chapter, but it certainly validates the fact that my time is well spent here. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! All kind of support is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am here and have an account. I have also started a blog to work alongside you.

    http://midwaychessclub.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be up for that, although I'd prefer text chat to phone (I'm just not very good at phone conversations).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want this to be the group for all preferences. Would it be OK for you to listen to the Skype Chat and text chat what you would like to express?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in, picked up book tonight! I suspect I'll have a similar experience to DeepGreene... been a while since I've studied endgame (and it was pretty disorganized when I did!)

    ReplyDelete